Week 8

My goal is to get a bachelor’s degree in accounting. I have not taken any college courses specializing in this field but I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of this assignment and see what is out on the web for accounting. I found the following three websites that kept popping up when I was doing my search.

Federal Accounting Standard Advisory Board

One of the major issue being discussed on the FASAB website is the board’s agreement to baseline estimates for general property, plants, and equipment. This will allow estimated historical cost, fair value, or replacement cost for all. The board will discuss these baseline estimates at the next board meeting at the end of October.

Accounting Today

Accounting Today’s hot topic of the week is the Governmental Accounting Standards Board proposal of new guidance to help state and local governments that participate in multiple-employer pension meet the requirements of GASB Statement No. 68, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Pensions.

GASB statement No. 68 – The primary objective of this Statement is to improve accounting and financial reporting by state and local governments for pensions. (GASB.org)

International Financial Reporting Standards

The International Financial Reporting Standards website current topic is about the transparency, accountability, and efficiency of accounting documents for public view. IFRS states “This is relevant to ordinary citizens–the public at large–because IFRS contributes to fostering trust, economic growth and long-term financial stability’. (ifrs.org)

These three accounting website hold a lot of information. I look forward to spending more time reading them. When I start taking accounting course I hope to better understand all the topics these website have to offer.